Saturday, April 02, 2011

无业游民 NO MORE!


Mingyuan, if you happen to read this, I just wanna say a big thank you! =)

Accepted the requests from firms to view my full resume as well as submitted it many times online, yet I did not receive any interview notifications from these companies (despite the fact that I meet their job requirements). During those times, I actually hoped that my mobile will ring, displaying an incoming unknown call number. Yes, there were two firms but every time they called, it was either as missed calls or I did not switch on my phone. And when I returned call, it was always listed as "User Busy". However, I never give up. I deeply remembered what Mingyuan mentioned in his personal online diary with regards to his job-hunting - ".. It wasn't easy but I held on to my beads, and I kept praying....."

During one of the special prayer meetings for Japan's monstrous disaster, I came into my realisation that I should set a precise and detailed prayer. Because the last day for the donation drive was 31 March, I decided that I must be offered a full-time job by then, with a good monthly pay (not hourly one), convenient location, 5-days work, and most importantly, it must not clashed with gakkai activites and Japanese lessons at night.

29 March, noon: I had a phone-conversation with a firm. Just when I thought everything went smoothly, the person over the phone rejected me as they do not have a temporary job position for me. Actually I didn't want that job too due to inconvenient location and job-nature. Hence after the rejection through the phone, I thought to myself that probably it's a blessing in disguise, I mustn't lose hope and win in the end no matter what. That night, I donated my last S$50 note (for Japan) which I had with me.

30 March, noon: I accepted a request from a well-known company to view my full resume. I didn't think much, just thought that it's an usual thing a company would do. It also didn't appear to me whether or not I would get the job 'cause when I clicked on the company's link, it states, "No job found". Furthermore, before that I didn't receive any calls or notifications from the companies which I had earlier accepted their requests to view my full resume. I was then prepared to leave the house for NUS to submit documents. Just when I wanna leave for the door, my mobile rang.

"Hello?"
Caller: "Hi, I'm (name). We are calling from (company's name)."
"Yeah?"
Caller: "I have just received your resume. Is it okay for you to come down for an interview later in the evening ASAP?"
"Sorry, I'm not free later as I need to submit some documents in the west."
Caller: "How about coming down tomorrow morning?"
"Okay sure. No problem. Thank you."

I just thought I would gain the experience of a job interview, nothing about whether or not I would be accepted to work there. After the submission of documents at NUS, I decided to head down to Queenstown for the interview since it's near (from Buona Vista station) and I still have time before the office closes at 6pm as well as for my Japanese class. The interview wasn't like the norm. It was more of a casual dialogue about my life and travelling time from home. The firm said that they will confirm the result of my interview by next week.

31 March, noon: I actually received two missed calls and a text message from the company, stating that I have been accepted as their staff! I've already started work yesterday (1 April). It is a full-time job, good monthly pay, direct train to work, convenient to attend gakkai activities and night classes from there, office hours, and given the opportunity to work as a permanent staff if I'd a change of mind in late July. My prayer was answered! It is a job offered to me directly by the company, and a good training platform for me to become an independent learner too! ^^

This has been a long post since the last one. Sorry to bored you guys for reading this but laugh-out-loud, I actually spent three hours typing this entry (OMG). :P

No comments: