Saturday, March 12, 2011

居安思危

I couldn't sleep last night. 'cause my mind was occupied with many thoughts and worries. Worried about the safety of Ikeda Sensei, SGI/SUJ comrades, and everyone in Japan. Images of the destruction from the quake, aftershocks and tsunami flashed through my mind. ほんとうにしんぱい。

I thought that if natural disasters were to hit our tiny island, it would submerged within seconds. People would have no time to even respond. I was so worried that I almost teared. Started chanting daimoku in my heart till I fell asleep subsequently.

Feeling insecure, I sent messages and emails to all Japanese comrades after morning gongyo today, concerning over Sensei's and their safety. Fortunately, I received their responses immediately. They (including Ikeda Sensei) are all safe.

At such dark times, wealth or fame are worthless. They are being destroyed within seconds. Hope and courage are what take people further. I'm moved by Japan's calm and swift response in the face of terror of the monstrous disasters. We should stop self-pity and feeling unsatisfied about this and that, for we don't know how fortunate we actually are. There's a Chinese saying that goes, 知足常乐 - when we appreciate what we have now, we will always feel happy.

BE PREPARED. BE ALERT.
FOR THE BETTER, OR THE WORST.

No comments: